PDA

View Full Version : Need help with lookup

NoogaD
16th February 2014, 06:16 PM
I have a Japanese Type 99 light machine gun (may be a 96). It's non-functional. It has a couple of parts missing and the barrel is cemented. I just inherited it. It's been passed around the family several times so any paperwork it may have had is lost. I would like to know more about it, especially if it had been registered and could possibly get the paperwork started to get it restored. Attached is the serial number plate with proof marks. Thanks for any help.

kar98k
16th February 2014, 06:26 PM
I have a Japanese Type 99 light machine gun (may be a 96). It's non-functional. It has a couple of parts missing and the barrel is cemented. I just inherited it. It's been passed around the family several times so any paperwork it may have had is lost. I would like to know more about it, especially if it had been registered and could possibly get the paperwork started to get it restored. Attached is the serial number plate with proof marks. Thanks for any help.

it's a type 99. the last 3 symbols on the top row say that. the 3rd and 4th symbols mean "9" and the last is it's shiki, or "type". the first symbol in that row is the manufacturer's logo. that one is attributed to Kokura. the bottom row (the 17.8) tells when it was made, but i don't know those so i can't tell you that.

NoogaD
16th February 2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the help. I thought it was a 99 just because it has the mud/dust flap for the cartridge ejection port. I read the 96 didn't have that. From what I can disassemble on the gun, I'm glad the Japanese had this. There are so many parts on this that it probably jammed up a lot.

NoogaD
16th February 2014, 10:11 PM
I read that the way they date stamped these guns is the first number before the decimal is added to 1925 and the number after the decimal is the month of the year. So this particular gun was manufactured in August 1942.

JHV 41
17th February 2014, 03:25 PM
Some good info starting on page 106 of the attachment on this thread:

http://ww2weaponsforum.com/showthread.php?11067-Special-Series-No-19-Japanese-Infantry-Weapons-Dec-1943