Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Svt40

Default Svt40

Would someone please post some info and pics of SVT40's----The reason---I would like some more info on them----cause I WANT and NEED one---but I dont know alot about them. Thanks D LOL

VIC's site has excellent info ! You'll also need info on current market conditions for SVT-40's. Basically, 85% of all the SVT-40's are plumb-bolt arsenal refurbs. These run about $800-$1000 depending on condition, less if incomplete, slightly more if a rarer code. 12% of the SVT-40's (these numbers are my own estimations, totally non-scientific) are Finn captures, usually mis-matched, non-import marked because they are pre-1968. These I believe are under-valued, lately they haven't been selling for much more than the refurbs. Again, prices vary by dates and codes, more on that in a minute. The remaining 3% fit into the "other" category, and are the most interesting and valuable. Generally, their stamped matching serial numbers, and lack of import-marks are what distinguish this final category, and other than lucky finds, the prices start at $1000, and go as high as $2500...even more.
    Now, dates and codes. 1941 Tula, by far the most common...more have scope rails than not. 1942 Tula, next highest production numbers, but you seem to encounter just as many 1943 Tulas. Some 1942's have scope rails, none of the 1943's do. 1941 Izhevsks more common than Kovrovs. 1940 guns kinda scarce, no matter which maker. 1944's very rarely encountered. 1945's produced for three days...most of us will never see one.
    Couple PICs below....first PIC is a typical refurb, 1942 Tula, plumb bolt, red varnish, a few arsenal repairs (has Kovrov Trigger guard). Also in first PIC is 1943 tula, virtually unissued condition, stamped numbers, arsenal refinish (of stock, at least), but no refinish marks. Next PIC is typical Finn, 1941 Tula, but lots of Izhevsk parts. Finn guns have modified gas valve with larger orifice. I'll see if I have more PICs and maybe follow up with another post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a small pic of my Polish M44 and 1941 Izshevk SVT-40
    My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.

Thanks everyone for your help!!! Think I may have found one. David

Careful, they are addictive !!!

In France, We can buy a SVT40 here :

http://www.arme-cartry.com/cat1fich.php?id=6

The price : 500 Euro (680 USD)

But, I don't know if you can import one from France ?!

Unfortunately it can not be imported here.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

What is the difference between the two muzzle brakes?

Different muzzle brakes are simply early vs. late feature....more slots is earlier. Two other "early vs. late" differences of note, pictured below. Wide trigger guard is late feature. Solid front sling attach is late feature. These show up in haphazard fashion on refurbs, but are good indicators of originality in non-refurbs.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast