Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Svt40

What is a reasonable price for these things in the United States?

Dave, weren't you telling me one time these things aren't safe to shoot?

They are safe,but finicky and parts breakage is high. John Zimmerman blew his up because of problems with the gas port. Price anywhere from $800.00 up. Years ago I was offered a case of 10 for $230.00 each and only bought one.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

There's one in a shop in Denver. The guy wants $1000. Looks clean, but other than that I know nothing about what it is.

I agree, they are a little finicky, but I've never broken a part yet. I think the "finickiness" is really just sensitivity to fouling, and most of the ammo is pretty dirty. If the gun malfunctions, stop shooting, bring it home and clean it...it will be fine the next time. Keep shooting a dirty gun, or set the gas too high, and you'll be minus an extractor, or worse yet, damage something under the handguard. It's also a good idea to replace the main springs. I have a Finn capture that has never malfunctioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazil View Post
    I agree, they are a little finicky, but I've never broken a part yet. I think the "finickiness" is really just sensitivity to fouling, and most of the ammo is pretty dirty. If the gun malfunctions, stop shooting, bring it home and clean it...it will be fine the next time. Keep shooting a dirty gun, or set the gas too high, and you'll be minus an extractor, or worse yet, damage something under the handguard. It's also a good idea to replace the main springs. I have a Finn capture that has never malfunctioned.
    In regards to seting the gas pressure to high, as I recall they are numbered 1.3, 1.5, 1.7 and 1.9, (there must be another # as it's 5 sided, just can't see it) High would be 1.9, right? I just picked one up, ordered new springs and "shooter's kit" from Bill Berg in Oregon. I have fired it, really surprised me how accurate it was and cycled the action very well. I'll get some pics soon.

Showing my ignorance----They make a shooters kit for the SVT40 as well as the G/k43??? What does the Shooters Kit do? D

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    In regards to seting the gas pressure to high, as I recall they are numbered 1.3, 1.5, 1.7 and 1.9, (there must be another # as it's 5 sided, just can't see it) High would be 1.9, right? I just picked one up, ordered new springs and "shooter's kit" from Bill Berg in Oregon. I have fired it, really surprised me how accurate it was and cycled the action very well. I'll get some pics soon.
    the numbers are 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.5, and 1.7

Beware everyone, i may have in my hands a "new to me" SVT40 tomorrow-- i am sure I will have all kinds of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by David Mills View Post
    Showing my ignorance----They make a shooters kit for the SVT40 as well as the G/k43??? What does the Shooters Kit do? D
    Well, I called it a "shooters kit", it consists of a new stainless steel piston and cylinder, no "jets" like the k43 kits. I do like the idea of adjustability, just loosen the piston and turn to the appropriiate # to fire whoever's ammo you can find. I was told to only fire surplus ammo, some of the hunting loads are to much for the barrels and can "bulge" them.

I hope you get it Dave, I really like mine!

Double G when you have a chance can you take pics of the kit you installed!! I got my SVT and still trying to "figure it out". Disassembly and assembly is somewhat tricky

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast