Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: WWII military books?

Default 5 Vietnam, 1 German

Recently finished 6 books, 5 about Vietnam, 1 about Reinhard Heydrich.

"The Killing of Reinhard Heydrich", by Callum MacDonald.........'the SS Butcher of Prague'. Rather tedious, but a pivotal incident in history.

"LRRP Team Leader" by John Burford.......his experience as a team leader for a year in Vietnam, a very thorough description ........

"Baptism, a Vietnam Memorial" by Larry Gwin.........

"Pathfinder, First in, Last Out"....by Richard R. Burns......

"The Killing Zone" by Frederick Downs, "My Life in the Vietnam War"..............

"Land With No Sun" by Command Sergeant Major Ted G. Arthurs "A Year in Vietnam with the 173 Airborne"..............
    Last edited by sepp44; 28th March 2017 at 04:51 PM.

Default More books?

I was born during WW2, had relatives in the war, knew guys who helped slaughter the Japanese, who never surrendered.

Over the years I've never been able to locate any Japanese first person WW2 books re the war. Lots of American, German, Brit, etc., but no Japanese!!!. Anyone know of any???????????

Weren't our own American Japanese the most decorated soldiers of WW2? Sepp44

Default Sepp44

Just finishing 'COMPANY AYTCH' by Sam Watkins, a man who fought for the south in the Civil War. It's wonderful, very detailed. What a guy, one of the best books I've ever read!

Back to WW2. Another Franz Kurowski book, PANZER ACES. Franze Kurowski was/is? a remarkable guy. As I recall he was a newsman for the Reich. Very thorough and accurate.

Recently bought 'With the Old Breed', by E. D. Sledge. He was in a movie series, associated with Tom Hanks, Both Mr Hanks and Mr. Sledge, remarkable fellows.

I finally found a Japanese book 'Taken Captive' by Ooka Shoho, who didn't kill himself.

Finally, i bought 'U-BOAT ACE', "the story of WOLFGANG LUTH by Jorden Vouse. For my money, books are the best investment there is.

12/9/77....Just got TALES BY JAPANESE SOLDIERS by Kazuo Tamayama. Two Japanese books in one month, I could stroke out!
    Last edited by sepp44; 5th December 2017 at 03:44 PM.

Second "thumbs up" for Company Aytch. Great book by a humble person.... also agree "With the Old Breed" is excellent. Just finished that a couple months ago.

Now well into "Iron Coffins" by Herbert Werner. First hand account by U-Boat man, started as an Ensign and by war's end was in command of his own boat (there was substantial turnover and promotion opportunities) and details the transition from the time subs ruled the Atlantic to them becoming an endangered species due to allied equipment and tactics.

Default Books

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    Second "thumbs up" for Company Aytch. Great book by a humble person.... also agree "With the Old Breed" is excellent. Just finished that a couple months ago.

Now well into "Iron Coffins" by Herbert Werner. First hand account by U-Boat man, started as an Ensign and by war's end was in command of his own boat (there was substantial turnover and promotion opportunities) and details the transition from the time subs ruled the Atlantic to them becoming an endangered species due to allied equipment and tactics.
    If you're interested in more Military books, I have hundreds of them. Can't give them away at the show. I have boxes of them................Sepp44, Stan

Lone Ranger: I believe Sam Watkins' book on his experience on the Southern side of the Civil war is one of the best books I've ever read. The detail is stunning! My grandfather was there when that war happened. He told me they "should have hung Bob Lee". His great grandfather was there to watch George Washington beat the British.
    Last edited by sepp44; 20th December 2017 at 01:34 PM.

Default Tales by Japanese Soldiers, Sepp44

I've been reading military history, having a hard time finding anything personal re Japanese Soldiers. Found one about a battle with the Russians in 1902 or thereabouts. Found stuff re how many planes were shot down and the names of the pilots were listed, but very little about/from the Japanese themselves. I recently bought 3 books re Japanese soldiers.

I've gone through the first. 'soldiers alive' by ishikawa tatsuzo. On the rear of the book, in tiny letters, is stamped "fiction".

I'm currently re-reading "TALES BY JAPANESE SOLDIERS" by KAZUI TAMAYAMA and JOHN NUNNELEY. It's great, lots of detail, well written re different guys' stories, etc.

Finished the above....Very thorough, but short stories of Japanese soldiers from Bangkok to India. Only a page or two each, but 62 stories. Grim going for the troopers, nothing about actual battle.

Also have "A 'JAPANESE POW"S STORY" titled "Taken Captive", by Ooka Shonei. Will get to it after Tales, etc.

I've finished the 3 Japanese books/stories and come away blank. Still looking for any Japanese writer/soldier to descried WW2 in some detail. For as far as I know, none exist, so it's back to the library. I will persevere....

On another matter, "U-BOAT ACE" the story of 'WOLFGANG LUTH', haven't read it yet, perhaps too hasty, but I've always found the Germans to be accurate.

Other things. Thank yous to your leader. And COMPANY AYTCH by Sam Watkins should be required in every school in America...........at least for the lads.
    Last edited by sepp44; 5th April 2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added information

Default Robert Spielauer

I just noticed eBay is offering a book re scopes and mounts by Robert Spielauer. I would urge anyone who is interested in WWII weapons to seek anything by Robert Spielauer. Anyone know where he is??????????????????Sepp44

Another great change in California?? To buy bullets we have to wait 10 days to be allowed to get one, or two, or 20. Thank you Diane...

I was at the show this weekend, where discussions were heard about the upcoming changes in law in California re weapons, etc. Apparently the ten day ammo deal is not illegal yet, but you are not allowed to touch ammo, etc.! I was told it is now illegal to own a weapon with a pistol grip. Go figure............I no longer wonder why so many guys left this state. Sepp
    Last edited by sepp44; 29th January 2018 at 06:38 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345