Thread: The British Bulldog Pistol

Default The British Bulldog Pistol

It’s happened to all of us …we see something that piques our interest and , even though it’s not something we collect -- we buy it . Maybe it’s a “gut feeling” or just collectors instinct at work but sometimes we end up off on a tangent that can become rather interesting.
    I’d never heard of a British Bulldog Pistol …no clue. I spotted one on an Auction for $100 and ..bid. After I won it , I started researching these Pistols and even bought a Book about them …now I’m a little hooked since it seems these really are the Forgotten Guns that really did win the West.
    Not everyone could afford a Colt Pistol back then …but these Bulldogs were well made, dependable and sold for a fraction of the cost.
    So they were everywhere ….small enough to keep in a pocket and yet a 44cal was nothing to dismiss easily.
    They were first produced by Webley …then the Belgians saw the market and they started mass producing them, then the French, Germans …then the American Companies got in on it. You could buy 4 Bulldogs for the price of 1 Colt …and if you were a Prospector or Rancher interested in a Pistol you could trust at a Great price ..you bought them.
    There are so many variations it’s unbelievable. I don’t think anyone will ever have a complete collection since many were hand made.
    This Book is fantastic …The Author really does a fantastic job explaining the Bulldogs as well as showing how they really are a part of our History that we’ve forgotten.

This Book is worth buying and can be found here --
    http://www.amazon.com/British-Bulldo.../dp/193146426X

Here’s a great story from the Book …it’s worth the read --

Wow, I had never heard of a British Bulldog. That is a very interesting story. How come you never see John Wayne carrying one of these---perhaps its hidden in the vest pocket. LOL

A British Bulldog was used to assasinate President James Garfield.

With so much History connected to them , I wonder why more people don't collect them. It's certainly not because of the price since they can be found for $100 to $200's ...and since they are Antiques , they can be mailed directly to your Home.
    Something tells me they'll be going up in price over the next 5 years or so.