Thread: S.m.K.H Super Armor Piercing 7.92mm Ammo

Default S.m.K.H Super Armor Piercing 7.92mm Ammo

Hi,

This ammo is extremely difficult to find. I was lucky and was able to buy 7 boxes from a dealer I know. 3 boxes were duplicates so I let a fellow collector have the 3 for the price I paid. Since then, I have seen no more available.

http://lmd-militaria.com/ammo_smkh_index_page.htm

Regards, Leon

Great information, Leon.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Leon, What kind of armor are these bullets made to penetrate?

Leon, That is super rare german ammo.. Very nice. Please post more of your ammo collection.....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

Default Smk-H

Here are the results of a piece of Armour plate that was shot with regular Smk and then compared to the Smk-H. This is REAL armour plate (.750"), not mild steel. Range: 100m. Rifle:98k.

German military figures stated penatration for the standard Smk to be an average of 10mm in Armour plate at 100m with the Smk-v- at 11/12mm, and the SMK-H at 19/20mm. See for your self in the pictures. At nearly $25 or more per cartridge, you don't want to shoot to much of this stuff! The back of the plate showing the Smk-H exits also shows the splash marks made by regular German sS ball. Thanks, JH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by haak48; 16th September 2009 at 04:20 PM.

Haak, Thanks for that info!!! You are the ammo guy for sure. Did the US make ammo similar to this during WWII?

Hi David,

Sorry I didn't get back to you on your question but Haak is a better one to answer that question as I can't afford to shoot that ammo....LOL.

Regards, Leon

Default Smk-H

I can not afford to shoot very much of it either Leon, but it was a real treat to test it though!! The recoil is VERY noticable compared to sS ball which is not a light kicking load in it's own right!. Thanks, JH

David, I am fairly sure the US did not field any T/C in rifle calibers in WW2, though tests were done. The Russians did issue a T/C bullet to counter the Smk-H, but examples are very scarce. JH

That is some rare ammo for sure. Great pics. Thanks for posting it.
    Willi