Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captured MG08/15

Default Captured MG08/15

First class III I've been involved with. Inscribed:

Captured by Co "C" (G?) 314th Inf, 79th Div Sept 26 1918 at Malancourt

Mostly matching except a few small bits internally. Good overall condition though haven't had a look at the bore. It will be 6-8 months for the transfer. Meanwhile, I need to scare up a belt, water can and hose. And talk my pal out of some of his 8mm Port.

The 314th had hard fighting right up to the end of the war. C.M.Seiders was awarded the DSC for, among other things, capturing light machine guns at Malancourt - perhaps this one

http://projects.militarytimes.com/ci...ipientid=14590

You lucky dog! One of my favorite MGs. The Germans saw the future coming. Can't wait to see more. Keep us posted.

More Photos

Is the wood buttstock numbered to the weapon ?. From what I have been led to understand the oil bottle mounted in the butt was a post WW1 modification. The butt could potentially be a later replacement due to damage on the origfinal possibly ?.

I'm no expert on the MG08/15. Raymond McElroy (noted in "The Devil's Paintbrush") says it is correct.

I owned an 08/15 years ago // sold it to Bob Landiies, in Ohio.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Bob agreed to look for a water can/hose and a belt for me. He was very informative on the phone.

I have had dealings with Landies for over 30 years /// he was alway helpful
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Here is a picture of a nearby captured MG08, same day, same battle.. also some excerpts of the battle, both sides views, - although the battle was successful, not much was written about it at the time. At least not in intelligence reports.

Quote Originally Posted by ebeeby View Post
    First class III I've been involved with. Inscribed:

Captured by Co "C" (G?) 314th Inf, 79th Div Sept 26 1918 at Malancourt

Mostly matching except a few small bits internally. Good overall condition though haven't had a look at the bore. It will be 6-8 months for the transfer. Meanwhile, I need to scare up a belt, water can and hose. And talk my pal out of some of his 8mm Port.

The 314th had hard fighting right up to the end of the war. C.M.Seiders was awarded the DSC for, among other things, capturing light machine guns at Malancourt - perhaps this one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Simson; 13th April 2015 at 02:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast