Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VG 1 rare code srg

Thumbs up

A lot (Probably Most) of the late/unknown codes are changes to the existing codes to hopefully confuse the allies as to what was being made where.
    A commonly known example is Mauser Obedrndorf byf became SVW in about Dez 44, Spreewerk cyq became cvq and Walther ac became ?, just went blank.
    This was not a first time thing for the Germans as they changed from number codes to letter codes in 1940.
    Many of the late war code changes can be identified by checking the WaA numbers because they didn't change when the codes changed.
    Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    A lot (Probably Most) of the late/unknown codes are changes to the existing codes to hopefully confuse the allies as to what was being made where.
    A commonly known example is Mauser Obedrndorf byf became SVW in about Dez 44, Spreewerk cyq became cvq and Walther ac became ?, just went blank.
    This was not a first time thing for the Germans as they changed from number codes to letter codes in 1940.
    Many of the late war code changes can be identified by checking the WaA numbers because they didn't change when the codes changed.
    Sarge
    Good point on the WaAmt.

Default VG

Quote Originally Posted by tbied2 View Post
    hey arnhyd,... i haven't seen ya' at court day or kcr. you should get back to kentucky sometime. also;;.. thanks to jack; for a year now, that vg rifle is sitting in my gun safe now. it is very nice, and what is the serial number on yours...? ........... t
    Hey T.! Haven't chatted in a while. That's an awesome rifle! You continue to amaze me with building a great collection. I was at Court Days this year but spent most of my time with family. I hope you are doing well. I don't remember the sn on my vg1. I'll have to dig it out of the safe. I think its a 2 digit sn tho. BTW, Have you heard from Mel Smith lately. I don't have a good contact number for him anymore and would like to get up with him.
    R

Default VGs

Quote Originally Posted by phosphateb View Post
    Good point on the WaAmt.
    Only trouble for us is none of the volksgewehere were waffenamt inspected or stamped to my knowledge. I think because this program was considered a civilian project. SRGs even had their own in house proof stamp and didn't get a typical eagle firing proof. It was a sort of dot within a circle marking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12