Thread: Identification of rifle used by 20 th Hussars sept 1874

Default Identification of rifle used by 20 th Hussars sept 1874

Hi,glad to be part of the forum.

I hope someone can help me with some research I'm conducting.

I'm trying to identify a rifle that was being used by the 20th Hussars who were stationed in Aldershot at that time.

I am confused as the rifle is described as a carbine but the additional info I have is confusing!

The troops were on ball practice as part of their annual musketry instruction.

It fired a bullet, from a cartridge case of 5 bullets.

Ammo described as Ball cartridge

The weapon was fired at 300 yards and then at 250 yards

Any thoughts, observations, ideas most gratefully received

Kind regards and in friendship always.

Pretty thin, a cartridge case holds only one bullet. Do you mean magazine? I would search British service rifles 1874.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Pretty thin, a cartridge case holds only one bullet. Do you mean magazine? I would search British service rifles 1874.
    Thanks Willi,

I know, but that's the termology stated, it may be that back then a cartridge case also ment a case in which cartridges were kept, a for runner to the term magazine, but my knowledge in this area is limited.

The use of the term ball, musketry also add confusion. But I will check out your suggestion, many thanks sir.

As far I know musketry means shooting practice? Ball ammo, in the USA, refers to regular full metal jacket bullets, as opposed to AP, tracer, etc. Do you know the caliber?

Thanks Willi, that makes sense, not sure why they would be using American vernacular but not surprised,
    Thanks again
    😀

I think it is the reverse. England was the super power. The round musket ball was the main round fired in muzzle loading black powder weapons. Then there was also buckshot, and buck & ball. Then a Frenchman invented the Minie bullet, the elongated hollow based bullet which greatly improved accuracy. These weapons could shoot out to 1000 yards. Do you have any paintings or photos of these troops with their weapons? That would be helpful.

Hi Wili,

Thanks again that's helpful, I'll try and see if I can find some pics

Couple months late...FWIW, front line units should have had .577-450 Martini rifles/carbines during that time frame.