Thread: Skorzeny and Mossad

Is anyone surprised ?????? Skorzeny was never, to my knowledge, actively involved in the mass murders, but I'm sure killing him would have been a viable scheme.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

What I've read of his 'exploits' left me underwhelmed compared to his reputation. I think the Allies bought into the idea of him being 'the most dangerous man in Europe,' and without much investigating, or source criticism. He appears to have been his own biggest fan and advocate, and never wasted an opportunity to mention how dangerous conditions were when he did what he claimed to do.

I'm more impressed with what (little) we know of the true 'Silent Professionals' in WWII special operations, like some relatively ordinary 22nd SAS operators, at least the few who came out of the shadows and shared their stories.

Pat

Fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    What I've read of his 'exploits' left me underwhelmed compared to his reputation. I think the Allies bought into the idea of him being 'the most dangerous man in Europe,' and without much investigating, or source criticism.

Pat
    Well.....he did manage to escape from the allies in Europe. And in a way he was the most dangerous man in terms of his long lasting legacy..that being implementing his "werewolf" model for his new countrymen in the mideast

He was very instrumental in passing on his accumen in terror training to the Arabs...something that haunts us to this day.

The earliest terror groups are direct descendents of his influence in the middle east....and for that he truly was the most dangerous man.

Quote Originally Posted by agalland View Post
    Well.....he did manage to escape from the allies in Europe. And in a way he was the most dangerous man in terms of his long lasting legacy..that being implementing his "werewolf" model for his new countrymen in the mideast

He was very instrumental in passing on his accumen in terror training to the Arabs...something that haunts us to this day.

The earliest terror groups are direct descendents of his influence in the middle east....and for that he truly was the most dangerous man.
    The terrorism angle in the ME was clearly not what was in mind during the war, but an opportunity that arose after, especially with the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    The terrorism angle in the ME was clearly not what was in mind during the war, but an opportunity that arose after, especially with the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948.
    Agree... I said as much.. I was referring to his deeds or accomplishments post WW2 to give some justification to his previously applied moniker, albeit from a retroactive standpoint...but I am sure you knew that.
    Last edited by agalland; 6th October 2016 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agalland View Post
    Agree... I said as much.. I was referring to his deeds or accomplishments post WW2 to give some justification to his previously applied moniker, albeit from a retroactive standpoint...but I am sure you knew that.
    Roger that.
    That's what confused me at first, I didn't realize you were making a distinction between wartime/WSS operations on the one hand, and his 'contract' work (along with several other Nazis) for ME dictators in the decades after the war. The 'Werwolf' organization is something I only associate with the very late war and immediate post-war period, and limited to Germany.

Pat