Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really Odd

Default Really Odd

but I think it's real / picked up today

VZ24 in a 98k armorer's stock / Modified Beech wood VZ type hand guard [the wood work involved does not look like any Bubba job I've ever seen]

armorer's bands numbered to gun. Your thoughts ?????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave; 7th July 2017 at 10:17 PM.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Dave,
    Can you make out what's stamped below the eagle in the last photo (underside of stock)? It reminds me of the type of depot eagle on a Dutch carbine and rifle I have.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Dave,
    Can you make out what's stamped below the eagle in the last photo (underside of stock)? It reminds me of the type of depot eagle on a Dutch carbine and rifle I have.
    Pat
    I'll try to get as clear a photo as possible and post it.

I just checked those Dutch arms, and it's a Magdeburg depot stamp. I can't tell for sure, but your's appears to be the same, based on the particular style and wing size.
    Pat

That is the best shot I can get so far /// my son has a better camera and I will try with his

Pat

The best of 6 // I wiped an oily rag over the wood in an attempt to bring out more detail
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's much more clear now. Definitely not a Magdeburg depot stamp, more like a WaA style eagle but with what appears to be '659' or something like that under it. No idea. Sorry I can't be of more help, Dave!
    Pat

Thanks, Pat;

I think it's a legitimate 3rd Reich period done piece, but, of course, that's just my opinion. I've gone over it carefully and satisfied myself, but with reworks / rebuilds you never know...

It's definitely interesting and I'm curious about it, too. I agree about rebuilds. However, I think a lot of people assume that if it was rebuilt/modified/altered, then it had to have a depot stamp on it as proof. I personally believe that we might be underestimating the abilities and capacities of the mobile repair teams that could go from unit to unit to do work that wouldn't require the assets of the fixed facilities in the form of the HZa and HNZa. My guess is that these probably played a greater role than we think.

Pat

That is also my opinion. Perhaps Mike will give us his thoughts regarding this aspect. The gun just doesn't fit the "bubba format".
    Last edited by Dave; 17th August 2018 at 12:16 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast