Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really Odd

Thanks /// I wish I could pin down exactly what I've got.....
    Last edited by Dave; 17th August 2018 at 02:57 PM.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

I like this rifle too. The stamp on the bottom of the stock looks like 359 to me minus the WaA. Maybe traveled to Walther for prototyping German style mods? Evaluation? Just spitballing here. Kind of surprised Mike hasn't chimed in yet.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    I like this rifle too. The stamp on the bottom of the stock looks like 359 to me minus the WaA. Maybe traveled to Walther for prototyping German style mods? Evaluation? Just spitballing here. Kind of surprised Mike hasn't chimed in yet.
    I second this. Either that or an experiment to see how compatible Czech VZ-24s and German K98ks were in terms of hardware. Given that adjusting the rear sight to take a K98k handguard would require depot work (barrel work was forbidden in the field right?), maybe they were exploring how much modifications/reworking can be done in the field. I think this is why the original VZ-24 hand guard is retained while the stock is K98k. The font on the stock numbering also looks identical to S/147K & G dated rifles (Stylized numbers). Perhaps Walther inherited a set of dies from Sauer after they switched to the new block font for the stock serials? Given that laminated stocks were introduced at Sauer in late 1938 and the annexation of Czechoslovakia in March of 1939, the time table for the parts does seem correct. Is the take down disc 25mm or 30mm? Looks like a 30mm to me. Also, is the trigger guard appears to be the original VZ-24 since it has a hole. Very cool rifle.

The marking is eagle over 359. It is a Walther armourer stock. Cool rifle. I don't know who put it together but I am sure it was done by the Germans during the war.

I just discovered this post is on its third page. Sorry, I'm on a phone.

I am assuming that the armourer who did this had available Kar.98k stocks and no Vz-24 stocks, so modified what he had to make it work. He stayed with the G.24 (t) handguard because making a 98k handguard work would have really taken some effort. Hambone has a Posen rebuilt 98k where the armourer went the other way and adapted a Vz-24 stock to a 98k during rebuild.

As usual with Vz-24's we will likely never figure out which armourer or Depot did this. Regardless, I am sure it is a legitimate and original wartime rebuild
    Last edited by Pisgah; 21st August 2018 at 03:49 AM.

The stamp on the stock is "359" as stated - it's an armorers stock from Walther. My feeling is it's original as well. The mobile shops definitely could do this level of work, it isn't that difficult. But, I will say that not all depot work was marked, especially work done on VZ24's for some reason, a reason which eludes me. The numbering on the bands leads me to believe it is from one of the larger depots though, as smaller Waffenwerkstatt probably would have left the bands unnumberd. I say probably as I just don't really know for sure, the Feld Waffenwerkstatte did have numbering dies available. IMO, what makes depot guns collectible to the masses is the depot stamp, but you really have to keep an open mind about non-depot marked guns if you want some neat variants.
    Last edited by mrfarb; 21st August 2018 at 05:38 AM.
    Buy the Karabiner98k and Kriegsmodell book direct from the authors - www.thirdpartypress.com

Did Walther make stocks? I was under the impression that Haenel made stocks for JP Sauer and Walther made mainly receivers and sight components. Did Walther start stock production specifically for armorer's spares? Shouldn't an armorer's spare have factory markings/identifications?

Thanks guys /// I appreciate the input....

It was odd, but I felt good buying it because it just "spoke to me",if you know what I mean..... and I knew it wasn't some SPEZIAL Bubba piece.....
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Right on Dave. I think most of us think it's 'real'. Figuring out exactly what it is and when/where it happened is the trick

Btw I absolutely believe this was some type of experiment. Weather field, factory or depot I do believe they were exploring the compatibility of K98 components with the Czech rifles. Maybe I'm way off base but it's what I see.

Final thoughts. WHO bubba's something like this??? Elite? Seriously

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast