Thread: WW2 Knights Cross 2nd Class Maker Mark ?

Default WW2 Knights Cross 2nd Class Maker Mark ?

I came across a WWII iron cross second class with ribbon. It is maker marked 333. I don't see any marker marks with that number listed, wondering if something if not right with the medal. It is a three piece medal in pretty nice shape. Has any member seen that maker before? I will attach some pics of the medal for opinions. Opinions on center?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JFB; 14th July 2017 at 03:11 PM.

That's not a Knight's cross but an Iron Cross, 2nd class.

Thanks ebeeby my mistake corrected

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Thanks Dave, will check out web site. After a little more research, I believe ring probably was changed out, the 333 could be a mark that would say ring is made of silver. It kinda makes sense due to original made from silver. I was throw off by seller telling me cross was maker marked.

John

After some more research on the medal I believe I found the answer. EK2's marked 333 or 666 are fakes. They are usually sold by dealers claiming that they are mint unissued. They can be unmarked also. The arms are very pointed at the ends, almost like pins. They most usually come with original envelopes blue or brown. Buyers beware.

Time was when a IC 2nd class was just too common to fake...
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Have to thank the internet for all the info that is on there. What I find disturbing is that to date no one is saying it is fake. A fake is a fake everyday of the week. Most dealers will just pass you on, having the attitude you bought it and paid too much. If I figured this out in like a week and a dealer selling WWII stuff for 30+ years did not know, he should not be in the business. If he did know it is fraud.