Thread: swv mb c

Default swv mb c

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/698341888

I don't know much about these, but the stock looks pretty worn for such a late war item. This gun isn't very far from me.. ~30min.

Has had some steel wool and varnish applied to it. Hard to find matching

I agree, the best part of a latewar rifle is the stock, and that one looks terrible. Price is way too high for a good svwMB action, but good stocks for these are impossible to find, with no E/Wa135 on the side but still having one on the keel.
    Buy the Karabiner98k and Kriegsmodell book direct from the authors - www.thirdpartypress.com

Damn shame really a hard rifle too locate matching. But as any late war collector knows major stock problems are the kiss of death. Stock could possible be saved but it would never look correct. As of now the price is way too high anyway.

Its been for sale for a month or more now, seller won't budge on the price. Even so the stock....
    Buy the Karabiner98k and Kriegsmodell book direct from the authors - www.thirdpartypress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rick walter View Post
    Has had some steel wool and varnish applied to it. Hard to find matching
    Yes looks like the TG/FP have been gone over with steel wool. Maybe some superficial rust? But whatever goop is on the stock sucks. It's not shellac IMO so removing it probably won't be that easy. Too bad. I think he'll be holding this for a long time at that price.

My only hope was that the late war stock was an unnumbered piece that could be easily replaced and I could wheel and deal since they were local. I didn't have enough time to research it but since I stumbled across it looking for something else I wanted to point it out.

I have presumed the late war attraction was the phosphate parts... not the stock.

It's that price though. Some people have had good results restoring stocks. It kind of looks unsanded underneath whatever that goop is. That's the big stick to me. Shellac is relatively easy. Polyurethane or any other synthetic finishes not so much. Can you get that goop off without ruining the stock? Oh and that price?