Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Turret

Default High Turret

Barrel, action and bases are original. I am not sure on the bolt. Is this one of those late L blocks that used a i on the bolt?

I don't like the stock and bands.

I don't like the bands either especially the 1 and 4 numbers on them. You can tell in the pictures they are stamped differently from the rest of the numbers.

This is a late byf44 L block, should have unnumbered bands. Stock is from a late bnz, triggerguard assy is too. Shame, would be a neat HT if it was more complete. Problem is, when you see bands numbered well (for what it is) and stock renumbered, it calls the rest of it into question so you don't know if it actually is a real HT since it's been in the hands of a "skilled" humper. Snipers are a minefield.
    Buy the Karabiner98k and Kriegsmodell book direct from the authors - www.thirdpartypress.com

Bid based solely on total value of parts.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Default Rear Base

Late 1944 turrets have lots of solder around bases. So those bases have been off rifle probably. Someone has really ruined it in my eyes.
    Last edited by Hercules; 10th November 2017 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnell19 View Post
    Barrel, action and bases are original. I am not sure on the bolt. Is this one of those late L blocks that used a i on the bolt?

I don't like the stock and bands.
    looking closer It could be an I block rifle. Doesn't look like an L but, byf44 I blocks were numbered on the barrel not the receiver.

I would say a restored sporter for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser99 View Post
    looking closer It could be an I block rifle. Doesn't look like an L but, byf44 I blocks were numbered on the barrel not the receiver.

I would say a restored sporter for sure.
    No it's a late L block after they changed the "L" to "l". I think at this time Bruce says the stamp broke and they used a i on the bolt. As you mention, an i block wouldn't be numbered on the barrel and the receiver. Only on the barrel.

This looks like a real high turret sniper that has been restored. These are the true mines in the minefield of collecting K98ks. Out right fakes are easy to spot. Restored rifles, a little tougher.

L block should have an assembly number on the receiver below the wood line. The front turret and tang of the receiver should be marked with the same letter or symbol. Obviously won't have a corresponding assembly number on the stock, but it may help legitimize the barreled receiver.

Yes as Hercules pointed out it is possible the bases are not original to the rifle. But the bases are original. Also there is not doubt that the barrel and receiver are a original High turret. The fact that both are numbered proves this. A non sniper L block would not have the barrel serial number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast