Thread: SVT-40 Cracked Stock?

Default SVT-40 Cracked Stock?

Here is the wrist of my SVT-40. Does this look like a crack to you guys? I am thinking so. What would you do with the gun if it were yours? I'm having trouble finding an original replacement stock. There is a guy on ebay who sells new production stocks for $125 but then you lose the originality of the gun when you shoot it. How would a crack like that affect the value of the rifle? It is a reburb with a great bore in nice shape. I love shooting SVT-40s so this kind of sucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a crack to me. Has it gotten bigger since you've been shooting it? I know cracks hurt G43 values.

I would purchase a reproduction stock to shoot and keep the original stock to display and have with you if you ever decide to sell. I am sure that the crack can be stabilized/repaired but I wouldn’t shoot with it anymore.

The crack showed up the last time I shot it and I haven't shot it since. I know it hurts the value...I just don't know how much. They are going for what I think are a little bit ridiculous prices on Gunbroker now...from $1300-$1500 for a decent one.

That doesn't sound like crazy prices. They have been going for $1,100.00 and $1,200.00 for several years where l live in the northeast.

Refurb, just keep shooting it! If the crack gets bigger you can cut the crack, fill the cut with new wood and glue it, should last. As for the repo SVT stocks on eBay, first off, they do not come with hardware, so you will have to remove the crossbolt fitting, PITA however can be done, then the stock needs tons of sanding and inletting (yes, I bought one and did it) it did turn out good, and worked for my application, I had a “sporterized “ SVT once. Lots of time and work, yours looks good, keep having fun with it!

Not untypical for that rifle. That wrist is small and you can tell by holding it it doesn't feel near as sturdy as, say, the M1. It's a pretty common place to see "field repairs" on the SVT. I regret selling my SVT40, but even though it was a while ago, i do remember having one of those repairs there.
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum