Thread: Kar98AZ

Default Kar98AZ

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Bolt renumbered? Legit part of the rework?

QUOTE=Dave;66719]https://www.gunbroker.com/item/738219685[/QUOTE]

I believe it is period done

Those barrel numbers and firing proof look terrible.

I think they are legitimate, but the gun's overall condition itself, leaves much to be desired, IMHO.

These type of rifles carry cow bells because such evaluations are full of vague opinions based upon shaky experience. There are a multitude of variables at work on these, but i think this 98a is "probably" ok; the barrel is a Polish barrel which the Germans used to re-barrel the rifle, the Germans stopped making 98a components shortly after the war (WWI) and when they captured Polish stores the barrels proved useful. You see them on occasion. The HZa was ingolstadt (Bavaria) and they are a common reworker for such rifles.

I think $900 opening is a ridiculous price for such a problematic rifle, but I would say the odds are better than even that it is good. (though you could drive a 53 foot trailer of doubt through the auctions pictures...)

Quote Originally Posted by Simson View Post
    ..I think $900 opening is a ridiculous price for such a problematic rifle, but I would say the odds are better than even that it is good. (though you could drive a 53 foot trailer of doubt through the auctions pictures...)
    I would agree and it seems others do too. This certainly smacks of someone who really doesn't want to sell their items, especially when they just end and auction and not relist it. If he really wanted or needed to sell it we'd see it relisted with a slightly lower opening until he got some bids.

The old fool thinks he has the market cornered on rare Mausers......