Thread: Neat Tracked Vehicles

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Missing my personal favorite tracked vehicle of WW2, the Steyr Raupenschlepper Ost (RSO). Made between 1942 and 1944 specifically for the Eastern front where they single-handedly outperformed all other tracked vehicles in mud and snow. The RSO was either powered by a 4 cylinder Deutz Diesel or a gasoline burning Steyr V8, both air cooled. They were a highly reliable vehicles and served in multiple roles from personnel carrier to tractor for pulling howitzers.

I'm surprised they didn't have one. Gotta love the Prime Mover. Where is that place?

That was an awesome video and that was one gigantic half-track (there were two I think). Looked like it sat sixteen comfortably but could hold 20 +. I would go to a show like that and pay the additional fee to take a ride on as many vehicles as I could. Certainly would seek out the guy driving the motercycle with side car as he appeared to like to scoot it around the path.

Yes, the Sd.Kfz 7, a real monster. Hope it has power steering.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Yes, the Sd.Kfz 7, a real monster. Hope it has power steering.

If I was a German soldier in that halftrack that large I would be afraid of running into an American soldier with a bazooka. How could they miss? What was the military “farm tractor” used for?

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't have one. Gotta love the Prime Mover. Where is that place?
    It looks like Overloon, Netherlands. The next event is 19-20 May!

http://www.militracks.nl/en/

Here is another neat video. That things looks like a lot of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_rojV8yUIA
    Last edited by Wyo96; 7th February 2018 at 09:58 PM.

If anyone happens to be in Northern Virginia in September, there is an open house for the Americans in Wartime Museum's tank farm on the northern boundary of Quantico, Virginia. They run a lot of cool armor there. I don't think they sell rides though. If I remember correctly, most of the tank collection belongs to NRA President Allan Cors. It is well worth your time if you happen to be in the area:

http://www.nmaw.org/news/events/

Quote Originally Posted by KKW22cal View Post
    If I was a German soldier in that halftrack that large I would be afraid of running into an American soldier with a bazooka. How could they miss? What was the military “farm tractor” used for?
    The largest of the German half tracks, the 18 ton Sd.Kfz.9/1 "FAMO", held a primary role as heavy mover, tank recovery vehicle and -equipped with a crane- was used for lifting tank engines and turrets for field maintenance. It was powered by a 270 hp Maybach HL108 V12 engine and had a 4 speed synchronized gearbox. The front wheels were used for steering in wide turns while for narrow turns, the tracks were used in a tank-like fashion.

SdKfz_9_FAMO_crane.jpg
    Sdkfz_9_FAMO_towing_Panzer_III_Russia_1941.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-235-0996-02A%u0025252C_Russland%u0025252C_Reparatur_Panzer_III_mit_Sd.Kfz.jpg