Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In My Safe for 25Yrs So Its Original

Default In My Safe for 25Yrs So Its Original

The Scope is Post War . Its an Objective Mount Sniper thats True just not Correct Period Original .

Let me clarify the Rifle is a Type of Objective Mount Rifle just not a Correct Period Type Objective Mount Rifle . Real Objective Mount Snipers used a Saddle on front Receiver . Which look like this

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/770516620
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Roberts; 12th May 2018 at 06:55 PM.

Wow, he's owned a fake WW2 sniper rifle for 25 years.......
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Dave for 3k would it be worth finding a period scope for? Objective mount snipers are quite scarce, no?

Quote Originally Posted by rick walter View Post
    Dave for 3k would it be worth finding a period scope for? Objective mount snipers are quite scarce, no?
    Rick if the Rifle was correct it would be , but that too is no good . I updated my first post , I should have elaborated more . Sorry for confusion because of lack of info on my part .
    Last edited by Dave Roberts; 12th May 2018 at 06:57 PM.

Thank you for clarifying this Dave,
    What is your opinion of rifles made with bases this way? I have an example ( that I sent you pics of a while back). This one dated 37, while a bolt mismatch, has obviously been together a long time. This type of dovetail cut into the receiver was known to weaken the ring. Early Mannlicher Schoenauer carbines were known to burst. This was changed later to the saddle that you refer.
    The example at auction has a numbered mount that looks correct. Do you feel this is a complete fabrication
    or one that does not fit the known factory made saddle series?
    Shown in “Backbone vol. 2” is an early matching “SS” objective mount sniper from the Walter Hombach collection that has the type of dovetail in question. Without the saddle it was necessary to dish the bolt handle to clear the scope body. It appears at least someone was producing scoped rifles using this method.
    What are your thoughts on this as these are observations of mine.
    Last edited by rick walter; 13th May 2018 at 07:46 AM.

I donít have backbone vol 2, but the death head in the photo doesnít look good to me. Hard to say with a picture of a picture, but I donít like it at all.

back bone 2 is almost a work of fiction.. don't use it as reference.. Mike and Bruce have it correct in their books.

Quote Originally Posted by rick walter View Post
    Thank you for clarifying this Dave,
    What is your opinion of rifles made with bases this way? I have an example ( that I sent you pics of a while back). This one dated 37, while a bolt mismatch, has obviously been together a long time. This type of dovetail cut into the receiver was known to weaken the ring. Early Mannlicher Schoenauer carbines were known to burst. This was changed later to the saddle that you refer.
    The example at auction has a numbered mount that looks correct. Do you feel this is a complete fabrication
    or one that does not fit the known factory made saddle series?
    Shown in “Backbone vol. 2” is an early matching “SS” objective mount sniper from the Walter Hombach collection that has the type of dovetail in question. Without the saddle it was necessary to dish the bolt handle to clear the scope body. It appears at least someone was producing scoped rifles using this method.
    What are your thoughts on this as these are observations of mine.
    Rick
    I have NEVER seen any period photos showing this type of Objective mount in use by any German Soldiers . That said IMHO I would not buy such an example until some very solid proof could be offered that would verify this style/type mounting used to build objective mount rifles . IMHO would only want to own the 2 Known & Verified Types . I have attached Pics showing the only 2 verified OM Sniper Rifles that I would own . I refuse to say that all of the type Objective Mount in question are Period Original or Not Period Original , as I have said Never before and its bit me in the Ass , I am saying up to this point I have seen NO Proof leading me to believe this/these are a Legitimate and WW2 Period Type OM Sniper Rifle . Best Regards

I want to add that I have seen a Number of Period Photos showing some strange combinations of Scopes & Mounting types used on German & Russian Rifles that were in the hands of German Soldiers . That said is it possible that Field Armorers did these build at least with some of the examples , it cannot be totally ruled out . Sadly theres no way to prove or disprove it either .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Roberts; 14th May 2018 at 04:33 PM.

Hey Dave,
    Is it the picture, or is the bolt handle in the first pic a little odd?
    A Gew conversion?

Thank you Dave, Your opinion was what I was interested in hearing. This type of mount dovetailed into the receiver was certainly used on the DOW double claws, there is no saddle for strength. One could assume because the double claw series used this type of dovetail it was strong enough to meet at least SS standards. The mount just had to be made high enough to clear the bolt.handle.

The rifles that exhibit the type of mount in question all look to be produced very early. Mine is 1937. The SSR just started development iní37 and the Turret ZF39 two years later. I would have to agree that there were only 2 types of contract produced objective mount scopes by your examples. There is just no way to prove the manufacture of anything else.

The dovetail mount could have been installed by anyone at any time. More than likely, the need for scoped weapons in the early years of the war produced some designs that can never be verified. Weíve seen k98ís with Russian scopes on them and the sort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast