Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Documented WW2 German SS K98k Sniper Rifle S/147/G

Default Documented WW2 German SS K98k Sniper Rifle S/147/G

Is it live or is it Memorex?😁

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793610602

I would not own it //// Law's book contained a mixture of real snipers and fantasy pieces.

This IMHO is a fantasy piece, irrespective of who owned it way back when......
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    This IMHO is a fantasy piece, irrespective of who owned it way back when......
    Without clicking the GB link, my immediate thought was "Geoffrey Sturgess Kollektion" and then I clicked and wham bam BINGO!

The amount of turds amassed by Sturgess rivals that of a small town sewage treatment plant. That's what you get when people have too much moolah.
    Last edited by GunKraut; 12th December 2018 at 01:23 AM.

Itís also what seems to happen when because the piece comes out of a huge well known collectors estate, itís authenticity is validated on that fact alone. And just because it comes from a large collection has no bearing on authenticity.

I truly believe everyone has in their collection a bogey or has purchased one along the way and gotten rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrudo74901 View Post
    Itís also what seems to happen when because the piece comes out of a huge well known collectors estate, itís authenticity is validated on that fact alone. And just because it comes from a large collection has no bearing on authenticity.

I truly believe everyone has in their collection a bogey or has purchased one along the way and gotten rid of it.

Yes, indeed, I've been screwed several times over the years, especially before the advent of the computer and internet. Anyone who claims he hasn't, needs to look at what turds are lurking among his jewels.....
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunKraut View Post
    Without clicking the GB link, my immediate thought was "Geoffrey Sturgess Kollektion" and then I clicked and wham bam BINGO!

The amount of turds amassed by Sturgess rivals that of a small town sewage treatment plant. That's what you get when people have too much moolah.

True Dat... lots of big wigs got fed bad stuff from dealers who take advantage.. He very well could have been fleeced time and time again.

The fact of where it came from means squat. The item has to stand on its own..

Older collections are full of good and bad items back before the information and good books a lot of what we learned was hearsay and witchcraft.
    Just the way it was....

Though unless documents can be found to prove it, it can not be verified. But we have had this discussion before about these early double claws. I have one that is obviously a period piece and have seen a dozen or so double claw rifles that curiously are all JP Sauer pieces that date @ ‘37-‘38. It’s just my unfounded personal belief that a run of these scoped guns were produced there to fill a need. This perticullar rifle fits the group I’m talking about. No obvious boinkery (looks like the rear base has been removed) I would not pay an enormous amount for one, nor is there any indication it was SS. While it could have been made at any time it is interesting, to me, the authentic in appearance ones are all Sauer made
    Last edited by rick walter; 12th December 2018 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rick walter View Post
    No obvious boinkery (looks like the rear base has been removed)
    - you missed the fake SS marking on the barrel there.
    Buy the Karabiner98k and Kriegsmodell book direct from the authors - www.thirdpartypress.com

Wow there is some seriously deep pitting on this one. Looks like he threw it in a barrel of Evap-o-rust.

Yep I missed that one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast