Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit off topic but shocking

Thank the Lord one of the cops had a clue. 99.9% would have just sent it to the chopper

I remember reading that story years ago what's sad is there's no telling how many historic weapons have been destroyed from family members turning them in. A lot of people don't want the stuff they rather see it destroyed then passed down. It was just a few years ago I read a story I believe that in California. That someone turned in an original Winchester 1897 trench gun from the first World War. I guess they didn't want that evil shotgun in the house from Grandpa. Who cares I'll get two hundred bucks for it. A damn shame sell a $5,000 historic weapon for a $200 Walmart gift card so you can buy more made in China products. These buyback programs are about useless it's just feel good stories for people. We took 200 guns off the streets. No you took 200 guns out of households from people that didn't want them, gang members are not going to take these guns and get rid of them.

I mean when I bought that G 29/40 back in July at the ogca show. The gentleman I bought it off of was selling it because nobody in his family wanted it even though it was his dad's. His dad brought it back from the war and it was passed down to him. I asked him why he was selling it he flat out told me my two kids don't want it, none of the grandkids are interested or want it, none of the nieces or nephews even want it, and not even the cousins. So I rather sell it to someone that will enjoy it and make some money on it. Instead of it being turned into a buyback program and scrapped. Hell it was just a few months ago a good collector friend of mine bought a collection off of guy that was his dad's collection. Sold the stuff for dollars and this was stuff that was worth thousands. You want to sell your all matching Luger to me for $200 fine! Hell I'll double their offer I'll give you $400 I'll be generous!

The real shame is going to be when WE try to sell our collections off after this generation has petered out. We’ll probably get penny’s on the dollar. Very few have the desire to even learn about history. The rewritten history being taught in schools these days make you a monster for even owning a historical firearm.
    Last edited by Dave; 22nd December 2018 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rick walter View Post
    The real shame is going to be when WE try to sell our collections off after this generation has petered out. We’ll probably get penny’s on the dollar. Very few have the desire to even learn about history. The rewritten history being taught in schools these days make you a monster for even owning a historical firearm.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow we all die and dead men nether exist or collect.......
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Enjoy today, tomorrow we all die and dead men nether exist or collect.......
    + 1. My two children are too young to determine their level of interest. Unfortunately I live in a state that is continuing to take rights away. Can’t own a firearm but do you want to buy some pot?

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    ..sell a $5,000 historic weapon for a $200 Walmart gift card so you can buy more made in China products. These buyback programs are about useless it's just feel good stories for people. We took 200 guns off the streets. No you took 200 guns out of households from people that didn't want them, gang members are not going to take these guns and get rid of them.
    Totally agree with you. PR/feel good stunt BS. I try carefully to look at what the cops display from these programs. Many of the weapons are old hunting or bringback guns along with a lot of junk. 99%+ would never be used in a crime. VERY few truly 'dangerous' weapons seen.

When you look at gang or drug busts the weapons look much different.

When San Antonio Texas did their last gun buy back a gentleman I know went to all the local pawn shops buying up broken beat up old .22s, average price paid $50.00 per specimen, turned them into the SA police '' no limit / no questions asked '' buy back at $150.00 each. 21 non firing junkers taken off the streets !!!!!! His net profit was a 200% return on his investment, minus gas money....
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Is it true that if the owner of that MP44 had the WW2 Military paperwork to take home that MP44, they could register it as a pre 68?

Otherwise, isn't it a prison sentence to own it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerbutthead View Post
    Is it true that if the owner of that MP44 had the WW2 Military paperwork to take home that MP44, they could register it as a pre 68?

Otherwise, isn't it a prison sentence to own it?
    Internet myth. Permission from the military to bring it to the US and registration with treasury were two separate functions. It could have been registered any time up to and including the amnesty in 1968 or done an end-around by a LE agency registering then putting back into circulation until 1974. In April 1974, Ruling 74-8 prohibited this and now anything registered with a F10 stays restricted to .gov use only, never going back to commercial channels.

That being said, there was an appeals case in the Eastern District of TN where the court ordered ATF to register war trophies and that was even after the veteran who brought them back had transferred them to someone else (McKeehan vs United States - attached). There was a chance for a veteran's amnesty a few years ago, closest it came was during the BHO admin ironically as republicans won't touch it even though it is sponsored by their own members. Not sure if it continues to exist as I lost hope and ceased trying to track it - Veteran's Heritage Firearms Act if you are curious. If it were to ever pass, it would provide an amnesty for veterans assigned outside the US prior to 10/31/1968 and their surviving family members + require the USG to make C&R MGs available to museums prior to destruction. It got lied about on gun forums quite a bit for some reason with people claiming all sorts of restrictions that were not included in the bill. Maybe(?) some were fearful that infusing the market with a few hundred or a few thousand C&R guns would not bode well for the value of their collections but just a theory. Hard to say what motivates anti-gun commentary among gun owners.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast