Thread: Unknown backpack...

Question Unknown backpack...

Howdy folks!

I have a backpack here that has been haunting my dreams for quite awhile, for the life of me I can't find any historical photos of it or even what it is actually called other than a "canvas satchel or field-pack." I assume either it was given to me or I bought it years ago but now I can't remember where or when I got it. Either way, I'd very much like to know what this is so I can buy an exact copy as it's actually a pretty good little bag. P.S I've had this thing since I was 11-12 years old.

Anyway, it appears to be a piece of American G.I equipment, possibly late WWII-Korea maybe early Vietnam. Canvas construction with metal buckles and leather closure straps. There is evidence of factory writing though long worn down to the point of being illegible. Strange inscription on the front and writing in black marker on the back of the shoulder straps, though smudged beyond recognition. The 'bag' can be either worn as a pack or as a satchel with various metal D-ring connection points present on the bag. Underneath there are two straps appearing to be for the purpose of securing a bedroll. Inside the bag there are two small open-top canvas pouches on either side of the bag with a 'main compartment' and a larger flap-top canvas pouch just beneath the main cover.

Dimentions are as follows; (Measurements taken from the outside of the pack).

12" x 10"x 6"

12" in total length when moderately loaded.
    10" in total height when moderately loaded.
    6" in total depth when moderately loaded.

Thanks again, I know you guys do good work!
    ~Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RedJacket; 4th March 2019 at 07:31 PM.

The pack appears to be Serbian, from the former Yugoslavia. Compare it to this one selling for $49 on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Serbian-Mil...-/264128757307

Hope this helps.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS View Post
    The pack appears to be Serbian, from the former Yugoslavia. Compare it to this one selling for $49 on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Serbian-Mil...-/264128757307

Hope this helps.
    Wow... you actually found it. THANK YOU!

Though.... a little more expensive than I'd hoped. Oh well, LONG LIVE SERBIA! Hehehe...