Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: G98/40 Serial Number Study

Default G98/40 Serial Number Study

Vaughn99 is compiling a list of G98/40 Sn's. Please help with this project by taking close up pics of each of your G98's. Close up are needed because some of the suffixes are difficult to determine. TIA

Vaughn, Thls is my jhv41--not sure if it is in your database, Thanks D
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks dave!!!!,

do you want me to repost my little article for this forum??? I wanted to write it for simson shul for the MRJ but i just don't have enough info on the level needed for the journal which reminds me i need to renew my sub. Yes i do have your serial on file but WAY better pics now the pics i had on file were from 2/9/09 maybe previous owner?? if not great upgrades!!!

thanks
    vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn99 View Post
    do you want me to repost my little article for this forum???

thanks
    vaughn
    Please post it. That is an article would certainly help all of us.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

G98/40, well this model M35 made in Budapest in Hungary seems like it had a good run but examples are hard to get SOLID information from. The Code is JHV and was made from 1941-1944. It looks like from 1941-44 being 1 serial entity. The biggest task is I have a hard time with the letter blocks some b (B) blocks look like l (L) block. I think they had a fancy j (J) block which can get confused with closed g (G) block form far pics so ill give it a go with what i have. Lastly the h (H) and k (K) are so hard to read I have yet to get a CONFIRMED k (K) block. With this problem of letter blocks the best way to know is the years stamped on the receiver but some blocks are in the same year so I have to have 100% confirming photo’s. With that said my database is very small with now 146 observations. UPDATED 2/13/13

JHV 1941 Low, 1321 range No letter Block
    JHV 1941 High, 7996 range d (D) Block UPDATED 2/13/13

With a total of 47,996 rifles via serial numbers UPDATED 2/13/13

But a missing gap in serials when 41 ended and 42 began of 5,154 Rifles UPDATED 2/13/13

JHV 1942 Low, 3151 range e (E) Block
    JHV 1942 High, 2472 range g (G) Block UPDATED 2/13/13

With a total of 19,321 rifles via serial numbers UPDATED 2/13/13

But a missing gap in serials when 42 ended and 43 began of 5,632 Rifles UPDATED 2/13/13

JHV 1943 Low, 8104 range g (G) Block
    JHV 1943 High, 3632 range l (L) Block

With a total of 45,528 rifles via serial numbers

But a missing gap in serials when 43 ended and 44 began of 1,246 Rifles

JHV 1944 Low, 4878 range l (L) Block
    JHV 1944 High, 3166 range m (M) Block UPDATED 2/13/13

With a total of 8,288 rifles via serial numbers UPDATED 2/13/13

Grand total of 133,166 rifles from JHV from 1941-1944 these numbers are all derived from serial observation and with new examples the numbers will be moved to the correct section but overall a pretty solid total count. UPDATED 2/13/13

JHV42 went from E/56 to E/173 in 6000+ e (E) block with mixed proofs on wood of E/173 but metal still E/56 to as high as 8900 e (E) block. I have a f (F) block in 4000 serial range with E/173 on top of receiver and also there was a drop of many proofed metal pieces. With this info there can be 3 variants in 1942 possibly 1 all E/56, 1 E/56 & E/173, and 1 if serials pin it down all E/173. hope this helps

later
    Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn99; 13th February 2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Updated article

vaughn,
    jhv43 serial #3214i
    hope it helps

Hi guys First time poster
    I found your site while doing some research on an "old Mauser" that I have It was passed down to me by an Uncle who was a WW2 vet in the ETO After browsing the site I guess I may have something more than an "old Mauser" The rifle is a G98/40 the year is 42 The serial # on the bolt, receiver ,and magazine floor plate is 1030 g the barrel band trigger guard and sling loop and stock have the number 2031 To the best of my knowledge this rifle had been in my Uncle's possession since he returned from Germany and I have had it since 1972 I got involved with Highpower shooting this summer and had planned on taking the Mauser to Camp Perry this summer to shoot in the Vintage match.....now I don't know if I should Any advice would be appreciated
    I noticed the Pisgah is from Pittsburgh I am approx. 35 mi. east of there I do not wish to sell this rifle but would be interested in the boards estimate of it's worth and if I should shoot it or keep it put away I have fired it and it operates fine
    Thanks in advance
    Here are some pics

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Hi guys First time poster
    I found your site while doing some research on an "old Mauser" that I have It was passed down to me by an Uncle who was a WW2 vet in the ETO After browsing the site I guess I may have something more than an "old Mauser" The rifle is a G98/40 the year is 42 The serial # on the bolt, receiver ,and magazine floor plate is 1030 g the barrel band trigger guard and sling loop and stock have the number 2031 To the best of my knowledge this rifle had been in my Uncle's possession since he returned from Germany and I have had it since 1972 I got involved with Highpower shooting this summer and had planned on taking the Mauser to Camp Perry this summer to shoot in the Vintage match.....now I don't know if I should Any advice would be appreciated
    I noticed the Pisgah is from Pittsburgh I am approx. 35 mi. east of there I do not wish to sell this rifle but would be interested in the boards estimate of it's worth and if I should shoot it or keep it put away I have fired it and it operates fine
    Thanks in advance
    Here are some pics
    TomH:

Welcome to the forum. That is a nice rifle. It’s complete and it isn’t sanded. The drawback as you pointed out is that it is a mixture of two rifles. Because of that I wouldn’t worry too much about shooting it. Just note that the extractor assemblies and rear site slider/button assembles are very weak on these rifles and are often found broken or missing.

The other positive is that in addition to being unsanded and complete the rifle has the original site hood and they are hard to find.

Value at auction I would range from $850 to $1150.

As stated the extractor is FRAGILE and once broken damn near impossible to replace.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Thanks for the advice Keep it coming
    the Vintage match is a 30 shot 5 sighter match but there is a rapid string so maybe I'll try and find something else to us in it
    I have a CMP M1 that I use in the Garand match I was just wanting to get some more shooting in while I'm up there

Would you expect that with the two sets of numbers my G98 was some type of arsenal rebuild?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast