Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WW1 Flare Gun

Default WW1 Flare Gun

Since we're on Very Pistols today ...I thought I'd add an oldie I just picked up.
    One site said these were US Navy and produced before the War. But I can't find any Navy markings ..or even a serial number. Thick Steel Barrel and 10 gauge ..that sure raised my eyebrows.

The Remington Mark III flaregun usually came in a canvas holster. These holsters many times have NON Navy Unit Markings.
    Many of the Cartridge belts were marked for the US Navy, but I believe those belts are for the Sedgley 10 Ga. flareguns.

Pictured below is the Model 1896 flaregun, which is US Navy proofed. Also a Mark II flaregun which is often seen marked Navy Yard, N.Y. These are Spanish American War era flareguns, and were often issued to the Navy. However, many of these are found totally unmarked or just stamped "Mark II". They are probably for Army use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for posting them ..That would mean mine is probably an Army issued Gun. Is this model pretty hard to find ?

There were 25,000 Mark III's manufactured for WWI at the least, and possibly some commercially or after the war.

The Model 1896's and Mark II's were believed to be about 1,000 to 2,000 each. I have never seen one with a 4 digit serial number. My own belief is that these are the same model flaregun. Called the Model 1896 at first and then called the Mark II, but I have no proof.

I do have one example with both Model 1896 markings as normal on the frame, and Mark II markings on the barrel, and the pistol is all matching numbers, serial #272.

Do you have a Mark III so you can make a detailed comparison ?
    If you don't ...I'd be glad to mail this to you so you can research it properly (on loan of course)

Hello, I have at least 6 of them, but have owned dozens over the years. Thank you, though, for your offer.

Also, Although the Mark III is a Remington, the 1896's and Mark II's are believed to have been manufactured by a different Co. No proof yet on which Co.

Some day we’ll find out. Eventually someone will be doing research for a Book on American Flare Guns ..and I bet the answer is still in Remington’s archives.

Default Another Mark II Flare Gun Manufacturer

I just ran accross this thread, so sorry for being a year late to contribute. I have been doing reaearch on a Smith & Wesson Mark II Flare Pistol and, so far, have not seen another example anywhere. Is this the missing link that identifies who made the Navy Mark II and maybe the Model 1896? S&W records indicate that there may have been as many as 3000 of these manufactured for the Navy in a newspaper article in the late 1890s.

This one is Marked Mark II on left side of the barrel and SMITH & WESSON on the right. Serial number is in the 250 range. Frame is the same as the 1896 and different than the Remington Mark III, but nickel plated.

Maybe helps answer the questions about who made these early flare pistols???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now this is interesting ,and thanks for posting this Glowe ! …To me ,it looks like the S&W made both the MkII and the 1896 since they look like an exact match. However the Frame design does not completely match the Remington. The S&W has a one piece Frame –- Remington also used a one piece Frame but either ground or designed it so it looks like an extension attached to the front end of the Frame where the Barrel pivots. You can also see where the Remington Frame is rounded at the end (where the Barrel pivots) and the S&W is actually sloped/curved to match the Barrel support.
    I don’t see any Patent dates on any of them ..so, could S&W have copied another design and then Remington made their own knock off ? Or did Remington buy or License the design from S&W ? ..that would explain Remington using the MkIII designation.
    I circled the area so you can compare --
    -

"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. "
    -Winston Churchill-

"Do we really need 'Smart Bombs' to drop on these Dumb Bastards ? "
    -PFC Snuffy Smith-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast