Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WW1 Flare Gun

Default Clarification

Are you saying that originally they added extended steel barrels to the 1882s and ergo 1894s? Eventually signal pistols with just steel barrels were manufactured and they in fact were true 1894s?

Eventually production of the 1896 came along until the navy in 1903 set forth the specifications of the Mark II. Thereafter what had been the 96 was declared to be the Mark II and were so until the Remington Mark III came along during WWI.

As an aside only a handful of Mark IIIs made it to Europe.

DSC03815.JPGDSC03816.JPG

In the first photo you will see the 1882 Converted pistol. It has a steel 10 Gauge liner permanently inserted into the 1882 pistol. It also sticks out from the former Brass muzzel to the standard 1894 length. Because the 1882 was designed to use a flare shell as an extractor, when the liner was inserted an extractor also had be attached.

Note that this pistol is dated 1894, but NOT marked model 1894 like my true 1894. These converted pistols are found dated 1894, 1895, and 1896.

" Eventually production of the 1896 came along until the navy in 1903 set forth the specifications of the Mark II. Thereafter what had been the 96 was declared to be the Mark II " I believe you are correct in this statement. So the real difference in the 1896 and Mark II is just an address variation. Remember also, many 1896/mark II's are also found without either address, just an unmarked flare pistol. They could be commercial production, foreign contracts, address scrubbed reworks for commercial sale, or ???

Default Logic

I feel that your logic has merit. Barring conflicting information coming to light, I fully agree with your reasoning.

My NAVY YARD,N,Y MARK II, has a serial # of 1218 stamped on the brass frame under the barrel, on the barrel lug and on the fireing pin retaining plate, I'm unable to find any other markings. Your information has been a big help but still do not know the manufacture of this one. I'd like to know more about it.

Could you show some photo's. Especially of any markings, and the area where the barrel and frame come together.

I do not know how to add a picture but the frame is solid at the hinge or pivot point,

You have the highest sn I am aware of. Prior to yours 1064 was the highest sn I had seen.

You can email me photo's at fireballantiques@comcast.net and I will relist them on the forum.

Good Collecting, Howard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123