Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bubba's Hall of Shame

Default Bubba's Hall of Shame

Thought we would start a "Hall of Shame" for all incorrect rifles, pistols, etc we come across in our hobby. This will enable new collectors to see what is incorrect and learn what to look for. Since all auction pictures, photobucket, and other media delete the photos, please be sure to load these pictures here so they will not disappear. Hall of Shame items always have this bad habit of reappearing. Any member should feel free to post any item they find that is incorrect and if anyone has questions about a certain item, please feel free to ask questions. Thanks David

The first one is a recent auction for an all matching K98 duv41. This rifle sold for $1076.00, which is about $800 over value. Obviously from looking at the stock it was a Russian Capture---in the first picture you can see how light colored the stock is compared to the rest. On the left rear is where the Russians sanded and stamped a serial number, which lightens the wood in that area. The other pics are faked serial numbers and WaA 214's---look very closely at many and you can see other numbers under the restamped sn. The only correct stamp on this rifle was the duv and 41.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Mills; 8th March 2010 at 06:29 PM.

Default Walther PPK SS marked

This PPK was a recent auction. I am always very cautious purchasing anything touted as being SS marked---the most common and perhaps the easiest fake. From some of my research on PPK's it seems that the SS used pistols that were police marked such as PDM, Eagle/C, or Eagle/F. In all the research I have done I have never seen a specifically marked SS pistol with the double or single rune. This pistol has the Army Acceptance stamp of WaA359. I dont have a correct example of what a double rune looks like--hopefully a member will post a correct example.

I still can't believe that duv41 - it's shamelessly bad!

Shamelessly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I still can't believe that duv41 - it's shamelessly bad!

Shamelessly!
    makes you wonder if the winning bidder was ignorant or a new collector...

now we need some of our militaria collectors to show us some really bad RZM's----calling Mike Peters, The Party Badge Guy, Niblet, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by David Mills View Post
    now we need some of our militaria collectors to show us some really bad RZM's----calling Mike Peters, The Party Badge Guy, Niblet, etc.
    There was a Fake Luft Pilot Badge out there with an RZM on it ...maybe Jo has a shot of it ?

I buys all my Notzi stuff frum gud hunest peeples.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

me too dave..if it isnt fake i wont buy it LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by David Mills View Post
    The first one is a recent auction for an all matching K98 duv41. This rifle sold for $1076.00, which is about $800 over value. Obviously from looking at the stock it was a Russian Capture---in the first picture you can see how light colored the stock is compared to the rest. On the left rear is where the Russians sanded and stamped a serial number, which lightens the wood in that area. The other pics are faked serial numbers and WaA 214's---look very closely at many and you can see other numbers under the restamped sn. The only correct stamp on this rifle was the duv and 41.
    Two more things on this stinker. Notice how the red glue lines on the left of the stock aren't straight? This is because the humper sanded out the postwar serial number from that spot. That's a telltale sign of naughty behavior on a stock and the reason you should always request a photo showing a closeup of the area between the takedown disk and the buttplate on the left. David mentioned that the only real markings on this rifle are the "duv 41", I just want to reinforce that this means that the serial number and firing proof on the left of the receiver ring are fake too. That's some aggressive hump-work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast