Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living History Encampment FDR 2010

Default Living History Encampment FDR 2010

In my opinion (as a Collector) , Museums have an obligation to educate their guests …they should ensure that each visitor leaves their facility with a better understanding of the subject (era,topic,event) than when they first entered the Museum. Unfortunately , I think many Museums have distanced themselves from the Public…in a way they’ve almost alienated themselves by creating the image of a boring way to spend a sunny day with the family. As a result , many have turned into privately owned/controlled “Toy Boxes” that are enjoyed more by their Curators and Directors than the Public.
    Luckily that dusty trend has been changing and some are learning from active Museums like the West Point Military Museum and the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum in Hyde Park NY. They encourage community participation and make use of the many Collectors and people who are willing to volunteer their services or even loan items for display. In many cases , private collections are an untapped resource and could provide Museums with displays the public would otherwise never have had the chance to see.
    As Collectors , it's our "Hobby ...but it's not our Story. We just preserve and document it.

Bottom line -- It’s all about sharing knowledge and keeping the History alive.

For 19 years now the FDR Museum has hosted a Memorial Day Living History event where the Public get so much more than just a stroll through aisles of dusty tagged artifacts behind glass.
    They “meet” the exhibits .

Brian Benedict has coordinated this event since the beginning …Brian is a well respected member of the collecting community here in the Northeast. Some of you might remember him from the History Channel show as the “Dufflebag Man”
    Brian chose reenactors from many different eras so the display would be broad spectrum ..but still focused on the US and Allied Soldiers.

These Reenactors know more about their specific subject than any Curator would …They are dressed the part, have the equipment ,the weapons and are willing to share the History in a way that really brings the whole story to life.
    Events like this keep the kids interested and in some cases might help create future Military Historians.
    One thing’s for sure …they leave with a better appreciation of who our Soldiers were and the job they did for our Country ..and us.
    They understand Memorial day.

Here’s the FDR press release –
    On Saturday, May 29 and Sunday, May 30, 2010 the lawn in front of the FDR Presidential Library will take on the appearance of a World War II encampment. Period military vehicles of all sizes and soldiers in battle dress will be on hand to share their love of history with World War II enthusiasts, families, teachers, and students. Military uniforms, weapons, insignia, and vehicles from 1917 to the present day will be on display; throughout the day re-enactors will hold demonstrations of military equipment and explain what it was like for military personnel in World War II. Freehttp://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/pub.../calendar.html

I didn’t have the time to visit the FDR Library or Home ..and since they didn’t allow Photographs of the FDR exhibits , I thought I’d focus on the Encampment for you.
    Took a lot of Pictures so you’d get a walk through feel of the event

I'll start off with the reenactors "Mess Tent" ---(you know how I am ..it's Food related)
    BTW --That's Brian standing in the middle with the Brown T Shirt

The Gent on the left is the proud owner of this WW1 Dodge ...great restoration job

(more Food)

--
    I'd love to find a Winch for my Jeep --
    --

How many of you remember these ? --The DREADED IMMERSION HEATER !!!!
    Many stories are connected to these ..and not all good
    --

--
    Just for Jason ..with a 50 no less !
    --

They even provided a demonstration for the crowd --

--
    My Lisa !
    --

Yes -- I know , it's a Camo Red Sox Cap ..and we're in NY

The Girls did a great Job ...WW2 Nurse Station
    --