Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Machine Gun Camera

Default Japanese Machine Gun Camera

I Thought I’d share a real Odd Ball looking piece of equipment with you ,it’s a 35mm WW2 Japanese Type 89 “Rokuoh-Sha” (made by Konica) Air force Machine Gun Movie Camera that they used for Training Machine Gunners. This could be mounted on the wing and controlled remotely (by the wires in the case) or ..mounted in the Waist Gunner’s position for hands on target practice. I bought this 8 years ago from a Vet in Nebraska (thanks Ebay) and it still has a bunch of the original Film in the cans . I think a few were used but ..I don’t know if developing them is a good idea at this point.
    See that yellow plastic like dome ? That would hold a stop watch which would be activated when the Trigger was pulled and because of a prism mounted near the end , the face of the watch would also be shown in the “Movie” it was shooting. This way a Gunner could be shown how long his bursts were and taught how to better handle the weapon.
    Every now and then I see one show up but … this one looked pretty complete and in fantastic shape so I couldn’t resist !
    Germany and America also had their own versions of these for Training but , I’ve never seen any pictures of them being used …
    I don’t know what the other ones sell for but …I just looked around and found the Type 89 selling for between $2500 and $3500. I’m not surprised since these are probably of interest to Militaria Collectors and Camera Collectors.
    Hope you like it –

--

---

Thumbs up

That is just a great collectible, a real museum piece.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Thanks Dave ! I HOPE that some day I'll get lucky and find a picture of one mounted in place or ..of one being used.
    I even thought about searching for some "Movie Footage" in our Gov Archives ...some must have survived.
    Do you ever see them at the Gun Shows ?

Mike, Very nice Japanese gun Camera, and great picts. ............BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

Thanks Bill ...I'm pretty impressed with the quality of it too. The wind up spring mech still works great ..great design.

I wonder if they made a "last ditch" model ?

Awesome piece Mike! Thanks for sharing!

Default camera footage

see if the company is still in business and they may have some archieve films
    just an idea

Default Congrats! Mike

Congrats! Mike

That Machine Gun Camera is just about the most unusual (and the neatest)
    piece of Japanese Militaria that I've ever seen! Ultra-Rare! .. Dave/dblmed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast