Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Knife do I Have?

Default What Knife do I Have?

I don't know anything about knives. This Camillus knife was either my grandfather's or my great grandfathers I'm not sure which. My dad used to play with it as a kid and use it as a throwing knife so it's a little beat up.

Does anyone know the history behind this knife? How old it is? Is this a military knife? I don't plan on selling it but I was also wondering how much it might be worth as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like a ww2 K-bar & it is priceless because it was your grandfather's.
    Last edited by Jason; 29th March 2009 at 05:02 PM.

Yes, it is priceless to me and it's something that will always stay in the family. I'm not one of those people who sell off their family heirlooms . I'm still curious to know though how much it might be worth.

The metal hilt or knob on the end is loose and I was also wondering if anyone here might know how to retighten it.
    Last edited by MERIDIUS; 29th March 2009 at 07:45 PM.

I have seen nice ones go for around $200. Is the pommel peened on?
    Last edited by Jason; 29th March 2009 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks Jason, yeah I guess it is peened on? There are no screws or anything. I'm guessing if that's the case there isn't really an easy fix... All of the leather disks that make up the handle are loose as well. Everything rotates about 5-10 degrees.
    Last edited by MERIDIUS; 29th March 2009 at 09:41 PM.

O my, Is that some kind of grommet holding the pommel to the blade?

Something like that. I can't figure out exactly how it is attached. There is no up or down movement only side to side (rotational) play. I don't know, I guess it's not that big a deal. It's been this way as long as I can remember.

I am sure you could find the correct grommet die - but for how much?

It's an Army/Navy Pilots knife.The "K-Bars" are much longer and have a different shape. My wife bought me an excellent book on US military knives of WW2.Here are some pics. Your knife is on page 85 of this book.Caution, buying this book may be hazardous to your wallet. Needless to say, I have an extensive collection and know what they are because of this book. Some of the junk knives I passed on, are rare and valuable.
    As far as doing something with the handle, WHY????? Leave it the way it is and put it in a display case with a pic of your Dad. There is no "Good" fix for these.Take it from someone who tried and made it worse. Take care, BAZ
    Last edited by gunbb; 31st March 2009 at 01:39 PM.

Yeah, that's the one alright! Thanks for the info BAZ. I didn't expect it to be anything out of the ordinary, but the fact that it is a pilot's knife from WWII is pretty damn cool! I decided to not mess with the grip... it has been that way for years so no sense in changing it now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast