Thread: WW2 Italian Medals

Default WW2 Italian Medals

I just picked up 3 Medals related to the Occupation of Albania and Greece.
    The one they issued for Greece is interesting ...notice how it shows the Italian Eagle's Wing "covering" Greece (as if it's protecting it)
    -

"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. "
    -Winston Churchill-

"Do we really need 'Smart Bombs' to drop on these Dumb Bastards ? "
    -PFC Snuffy Smith-

Great posting / I have often wondered how the Italians were able to pin medals on their troops with both hands up in the air.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

LOL !! ...Well , one thing I will say in their
    Defense Ö.the Italian Soldiers were not indoctrinated the way many of the Germans were. So , I donít think they really wanted to be there. And even though the Greeks were fighting with WW1 equip , they were defending their Country and had more at stake than the Italian Soldiers.
    If Germany didnít come in with the 12th Army , the Greeks would have pushed the Italians right up and out of Albania.
    Hereís one of my favorite Szyk Prints that pretty well covers it --
    -
    -Winston Churchill-

-PFC Snuffy Smith-

Where did you find those ? I have never seen anything like that and I've been to italy several times and haunted the swap meets, BB

The invasion of Greece is pretty well overlooked ..at least here in the US. So , whenever I find something ..I grab it.The one thing I'm still looking for is a complete Greek Soldiers Uniform (1939-1940 would be great). I was able to find 2 Greek Helmets ...but that's about it .
    I regret not picking up one of the FN's with the Greek Crest on the Ring ...maybe someday !
    -Winston Churchill-

-PFC Snuffy Smith-

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Great posting / I have often wondered how the Italians were able to pin medals on their troops with both hands up in the air.
    A couple of points here:
    The Italians suffered incredible losses on the Eastern front right along with the Germans.
    The Italian Air Force soldiered on with the Germans right up until the end of the war.
    Jim
    Thomas Jefferson, of Virginia:
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Jim , you're forgetting how the Germans massacred 9250 Italian Soldiers
    on the island of Kefalonia, Greece, in September 1943
    Notice how some Greek Civilians actually fought along side the Italians against the Germans
    http://www.ww2museums.com/article/12...-Kefalonia.htm

Russia was another nightmare -

Casualties

At Stalingrad it is estimated that
    • 20,800 killed
    • 64,000 captured
    • 45,000 evaded capture and withdrew
    Overall about 30,000 Italian soldiers died on the Eastern Front. An estimated 54,000 would die in captivity.

Aftermath

In 1943 following extensive losses, Mussolini withdrew the Italian troops from Russia. The losses were a severe blow to his popularity at home especially when it was revealed they were very poorly equipped for the extreme conditions. There were also reports that Italian troops had been sacrificed by the German command to allow their own troops to withdraw.
    Retrieved from "http://theitalywiki.com/index.php/Eastern_Front"

Mussolini was Hitler's Ally ...not the Italian Soldiers
    -Winston Churchill-

-PFC Snuffy Smith-

The Italian Army was poorly equiped and poorly led. After Rommel told Bagdolio to stick it, and he took control, The Italian forces fought well at the side of their ,then , German allies. Most of the massive surrenders of Italian soldiers occured during their fight with the British, early on. The Italian Officer Corps led from the far rear. They created several Fortresses along the Lybian Border that were too far apart and couldn't support one another. British General O'Connor ,with a much smaller force, took each one in turn and routed the Italians. That's when Rommel showed up and turned things around, BB

Forgot to ad, there was a movie with I believe Nicholas Cage, about Italian soldiers on a Greek island and how after the surrender, they revolted against the Germans. BB