Thread: Surviving Gew 98 1917 Obie Double Claw

Default Surviving Gew 98 1917 Obie Double Claw

Wish i could claim that I found this , or knew what it was, but I have to plead not guilty on both counts. Someone much more knowledgeable than I pointed it out to me.
    All in all not in too bad a shape for being 97 years old and kicked around across a couple of continents.

Import stamped, with a dull brownish blue finish,with a Lot of matching parts... Barrel,actions screws, receiver, sights, bolt release, triggerguard,and all stock hardware.
    Some of the mm bolt is unnumbered , floorplate mm , Stock and handguard match themselves and are sanded.

What I find most curious is that all the stock hardware matches the gun but not the stock? One would think it would be the other way around.

Bore is fair @ best , with some exterior pitting in places..but to be expected I suppose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last couple
    Attached Images Attached Images

You wonder where and when the bases were taken off.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    You wonder where and when the bases were taken off.
    There was a discussion on the 1917(n) block turkish snipers over @ Farbs site and it postulated that they were likely removed before leaving Turkey, but there have been exceptions, one of them by the poster who started the discussion...his were removed by the person he bought his from and was not import stamped.
    There were also examples of some who had their holes filled and then reblued....bottom line...who knows..?