Thread: 1913 Mauser Oberndorf Gewehr 98

Default 1913 Mauser Oberndorf Gewehr 98

Hi WW2 Weapons Forum! I figured I'd post my 1913 MO Gew98 on this forum, to see if there's any interesting information that I can glean from you guys regarding my rifle. From what I've heard, 1913 is a relatively scarce year for Gew98 production, but I find it interesting as the rifle is exactly 100 years old, yet is still pre-WW1 given that it was only a year away from 1914.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Appears to be all matching from what I can see...and a very nice looking piece of wood .

You are very fortunate to have something that early in that condition IMO.

SBC

Thank you for the feedback, agalland! I picked up the rifle for $600 at a LGS, so I was wondering if the rifle is at least worth that much, or could it be valued more given its all matching status?

I am the wrong guy to give you an estimate of value on these particular weapons.

The stock does look to have been sanded somewhat as she is pretty smooth ,and the (4) is almost non existent on the keel where the serial is ,and she does have a little sheen as if some type of finish waS applied.

I am unsure if it just has a thining blue or is some removal was done...given the age is is certinly possible it could just be thining from wear and age.

Naturally any patina other than from wear and time is detrimental to value.

While not exactly 100% untouched it still is fully matching which is a plus.

I dont believe you got hurt @ 600.00,but again..I am uncertain of values on particular GEW 98's...this is the first 1913 I have seen however so I am certain they are not exactly plentiful.

Some one will come along and fill you in ..I am certain.

Congrats on your purchase.

SBC

The price you paid for is certainly a fair market value. IMHO, it would fetch a good bit more at auction.
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Thanks for the feedback Dave! I don't plan on reselling this any time soon, as it's a piece of unique history that I find very interesting. Gewehr 98s are definitely very good rifles and while they are somewhat overshadowed by WW2 derivatives such as the 98k, that doesn't diminish its historical significance in any way.